Dairyland Seed Announces 22 New Corn Hybrids for 2018
Today (Sept. 6), Dairyland Seed, a part of Dow AgroSciences, announced 22 new corn hybrids for the 2018 growing season, eight of which use Enlist weed control technology.
“We’re really excited about releasing such a robust variety of products for 2018,” says T.J. Strachota, Dairyland Seed marketing leader. “These new products allow our farmers more choices in management decisions and will work for a more diverse set of operations.”
These new varieties were plot tested last year and selected for their high-performance and proven capabilities, according to the company. In particular, Strachota has high performance expectations for DS-9090RA, DS-9804RA and DS-7106PRE.
Dairyland’s new varieties for 2018 are:
- DS-7781RA – 81 RM, which uses PowerCore traits and features strong stalks and roots with excellent drought tolerance. It’s a consistent performer and does well even in cool and wet soils.
- DS-7185 – 85 RM, which performs well in no-till and corn-on-corn situations. It has great foliar health attributes and solid agronomic qualities. This product contains the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait.
- DS-9686 – 86 RM is new this year and exhibits top-end yield potential with fast dry down in the fall. It contains the Agrisure 3000GT trait and has opportunity for population flexibility with its semi-flex ear.
- DS-9090RA – 90 RM boasts excellent emergence and can handle cold, wet, tight soils. It has great foliar health and produces large, girthy ears with deep kernels. This hybrid contains SmartStax traits and prefers deep soils with high-fertility environments.
- DS-7593 – 93 RM features fast dry down and fantastic drought tolerance. It’s a versatile hybrid that handles a variety of soil types and is best as a mid-to full-season hybrid. This version uses the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait.
- DS-7294a – 94 RM is an excellent east to west performer and has excellent grain quality and test weight, as well as stay-green abilities. It prefers deep soils and high-fertility environments, and uses the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait.
- DS-7599 – 99 RM is a tough hybrid that delivers high yields. This drought-tolerant seed is great for no-till and corn-on-corn situations. It boasts solid stalk and root scores with stable and consistent performances. This hybrid uses the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait.
- DS-1101 – 99 RM is a conventional hybrid with solid agronomics and good stalk and root scores. It has nice grain quality and test weight and features a large, girthy ear with deep kernels. It has excellent foliar health and a good performance east to west.
- DS-9802RA – 102 RM exhibits outstanding stalk and root strength and a strong foliar package. It’s a good choice for cold, wet soils and produces a girthy, flex-style ear. It uses SmartStax traits.
- DS-9804RA – 104 RM is a new hybrid with stable, high-yielding genetics and quick dry down in the fall. It has an elite foliar health package with good drought tolerance that can handle variable conditions. This hybrid is an excellent choice for both corn-on-corn and no-till situations and uses SmartStax genetics.
- DS-9510RA – 110 RM has an excellent foliar health package and has great stalk and root scores. It performs best in high-yield environments and when grown east of central Iowa. This product uses SmartStax traits.
- DS-7911RA – 111 RM carries the highest rating for drought tolerance and has a strong foliar health package. It is widely adapted to east to west and north to south. A great choice for corn-on-corn and no-till, this seed uses PowerCore traits.
- DS-9513RA– 113 RM is a tall, robust plant type with very good stalk and root strength and a long, slender ear style. It is a consistent performer north to south and uses SmartStax traits.
- DS-6414 – 114 RM has nice stay-green in the fall and a solid drought tolerance. With a good overall health package, it handles variable soils well. This product uses Roundup Ready traits.
Several of Dairyland Seed’s hybrids comprise Enlist genetics this year, including:
- DS-5494E – 94 RM is a tall, racehorse style hybrid with great grain quality and test weight. It has highly rated emergence scores and very good health with excellent dry down. It prefers deep soils and high-fertility environments, and its genetics come from DS-6494 with the Enlist trait technology.
- DS-5898E – 98 RM uses genetics from DS-6898. It has high yield potential, very girthy, flex-style ears and very good scores against Goss’s wilt. This hybrid utilizes the Enlist trait technology.
- DS-7802PRE – 102/100 RM uses high-yielding genetics from DS-9802RA combined with PowerCore Enlist trait technology. This hybrid has outstanding stalk and root strength and a strong foliar health package. It has girthy, flex-style ears and prefers deep soils and high fertility environments.
- DS-8303SRE – 103/101 RM is a SmartStax Enlist hybrid that uses genetics from DS-9303RA. It has solid stalks and roots and gets out of the ground early, giving its best performance as a mid- to full-season product.
- DS-7106PRE – 106/104 RM uses DS-6106 genetics with the PowerCore Enlist trait technology. This hybrid offers stable yield across environments, an outstanding foliar health package, high-quality grain and good test weight. It’s a rugged plant that can handle variable conditions and makes a great choice for both corn-on-corn and no-till situations.
- DS-8508SRE – 108/106 RM comes from DS-9508RA genetics. This SmartStax Enlist new product contains the same dominant yield performance, fat, girthy ears, and outstanding foliar health package as its predecessor. It’s also a rugged hybrid and a great choice for both corn-on-corn and no-till operations.
- DS-8412SRE – 112 RM is a SmartStax Enlist dependable hybrid, making it a rugged plant that can handle variable conditions. The genetics are from the DS-9412RA hybrid, which features good stalk and root strength. A great choice for both corn-on-corn and no-till, this option has outstanding foliar health and nice stay-green.
- DS-8314SRE – 114 RM is a drought tolerant hybrid that uses the genetics from DS-9314RA. It has excellent grain quality and test weight. Its determinate ear style excels at high populations, which makes it a good choice for both corn-on-corn and no-till operations. The hybrid uses SmartStax Enlist technology.